- Ames, IA, USA
- Full Time
The Gateway Hotel & Conference Center at Iowa State University is seeking an Assistant General Manager.
The Gateway is the largest, full-service hotel and conference center in Ames, Iowa, with 187 guest rooms, a three-meal restaurant, and 16,000 sq. ft. of banquet and meeting space.
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for assisting the General Manager to ensure first class hospitality is being delivered that exceeds guest expectations. Primary areas of focus are the hotel room's division departments consisting of Front Office, Housekeeping, Laundry, and Facilities.
- Oversees daily shift operations of hotel room's division departments.
- Recruit, hire, train, and develop departmental teams to ensure highest level of hospitality service.
- Schedule employees according to business demands and manages employee time and attendance.
- Oversee training and staff development.
- Manage employee and team performance to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Works to improve operational efficiency and productivity.
- Strives to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction.
- Opens and closes departmental shifts, ensuring completion of assignments and other duties.
- Manages inventories, supplies, and equipment.
- Uses all available on the job training tools for employees; leads on-going training initiatives and conduct training when appropriate.
- Ensures payroll accuracy.
- Maintains legal compliance, along with company policies, procedures, and standards.
- Monitors guest satisfaction and creates action plans to address systems and performance improvement.
- Maintains the highest safety and security standards for hotel guests and employees.
- Follows up with accident investigations and works proactively to ensure a safe work environment.
- Deploy and update rate strategy in reservation and hotel property management systems, to maximize RevPAR.
- Effectively manage and be in control of room inventory.
- Ensures accuracy of reservations, credit procedures, and cash handling.
- Manage high call volume of reservations.
- Develops and implements strategies to achieve employee and guest satisfaction goals as measured by our comment cards and Internet feedback results.
- Monitor and share guest feedback for continued growth.
- Troubleshoot and investigate discrepancies to improve systems and individual performance.
- Ensures accurate front office accounting.
Housekeeping & Facilities
- Ensure that the hotel and property are clean and maintained, to exceed guest expectations.
- Inspect guest rooms, public areas, and property to ensure quality.
- Complete and follow-up with projects assignments.
- The ideal candidate must have a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education/experience.
- 2-3 years of work experience in a related position in the hospitality industry.
- Management experience of hotel front office, housekeeping, and maintenance experience preferred.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts including holidays and weekends.
- Experienced with hotel property and reservation management systems.
- The hotel uses Agilysys, Visual One PMS and iHotelier reservations systems.
- Additional computer systems experience with TimeClock Plus, Microsoft Office applications, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently, without direct supervision as part of a cohesive team.
- Ability to think clearly, analyze and resolve problems, while exercising good judgment.
- Knowledgeable of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations.
Reports to the General Manager
Apply on-line at www.gatewayames.com