- Food & Beverage
- 50014, IA, USA
- Full Time
Health, Dental, Vision, & 401(k) plans offered
The Gateway Hotel & Conference Center at Iowa State University is seeking an Executive Chef.
The Executive Chef is responsible to deliver a first class culinary experience that exceeds guest expectations.
Must have experience in preparing quality food for multiple banquets totaling 1,000 people, while delivering quality food service to full service 90-seat restaurant.
The kitchen leadership team includes a Sous Chef and Chef de Cuisine.
The Gateway is the largest, full-service hotel and conference center in Ames, Iowa, with 187 guest rooms, a three-meal restaurant, and 16,000 sq. ft. of banquet and meeting space.
- Recruit, staff, train, and develop all kitchen personnel.
- Manage and coordinate all related culinary and kitchen activities.
- Inventory and purchase food to meet expected food costs.
- Select and develop recipes that exceed guest expectations.
- Develop banquet and restaurant menus, along with pricing to achieve expected profitability.
- Standardize production recipes to ensure consistent quality.
- Establish presentation technique and quality standards.
- Ensure proper equipment operation and maintenance.
- Exceed compliance of safety and sanitation standards.
- Oversee catering events and offer culinary instruction and/or demonstrate culinary techniques.
- Manage performance expectations, productivity, and vendor relationships.
- Inspect and ensure high levels of cleanliness, and be in compliant with all food and sanitation regulations.
- Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications.
- Assist clients, sales managers and restaurant manager as needed in areas such as menus, plate presentation, and dietary specifications.
- Perform other related management and administrative tasks required, including departmental payroll processing.
- Must analyze progress and trends to make appropriate improvement recommendations.
- Work toward continuous improvement to enhance Gateway's culinary reputation.
- 3 years prior experience as a Head Banquet and Restaurant Chef.
- Culinary or Bachelor's Degree with major concentration in food preparation, culinary arts, management, nutrition or related field.
- Experience in high-volume food production or catering kitchen.
- Passion for the culinary arts.
- Previous experience controlling food and labor cost.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts including holidays and majority of weekends.
- Computer systems experience with Microsoft Office applications, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with computerized food inventory and ordering systems.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently, without direct supervision as part of a cohesive team.
- Ability to think clearly, analyze and resolve problems, while exercising good judgment.
- Manage in a diverse environment with focus on client and customer service.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with FDA and Iowa Food, Health, and Sanitation Codes.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations.
Full time: Exempt
Salary starting $65,000
Reports to the General Manager